Is Linux 2.2+ proxy ARP broken?

From: Markus Stenberg (mstenber@cc.Helsinki.FI)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 12:47:24 EST

Disclaimer: I've read all documentation I could get my hands on. I've
searched both Altavista and Deja for answers, yet encountered none.

Standard *bsd behavior (which works (at least) on {Net,Open}BSD and certain
commercial *NIXes):

        arp -s <ip> <ether_addr> pub

=> whenever ARP request for <ip> shows up, we reply with <ether_addr>.

I seem to be unable to reproduce this behavior with Linux (at least 2.2 or
2.3.99pre series); it seems that hwaddr for published addrs isn't even
written down (at least, /proc/net/arp says it's 00:00:00:... or *, don't
remember which), and nothing of interest occurs when ARP request shows up
on the ethernet interface.

(And yes; all things that even smell of proxy_arp are turned on; ip
forwarding is turned on; ...)

I even tried adding both non-published entry (which has C (=complete) flag
and hwaddr) and published entry (which lacks C flag and hwaddr), but it
still didn't work.

I know about the "sort-of-automated-bridging-ARP" feature, but what I am
needing is plain and simple manual proxy arp. What I do _not_ want is
all-singing all-dancing automated ARP magic (that smells of Windows style
"we do everything for you" environment).

Kernels:
        2.2.{14,15pre}
        2.3.99pre3

Distributions:

        Debian (current frozen; net-tools 1.54 IIRC),

        Caldera OpenLinux (or whatever the dist is called, most recent
        Caldera Linux anyway)

-Markus

P.S.

I'd appreciate Cc: if someone has something like "duh, do <this>" that
fixes the problem. Funnily enough, _no_ FAQ on the 'net mentions manual
ARP'age much, and most seem to favor automagic ARP stuff, for reasons which
escape me.

P.P.S.

Two of my Linux-using friends have also verified this weird behavior, and
that's why I'm asking here for reasons/fix.

--
"The Web brings people together because no matter what kind of a
twisted sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals