Re: Linux, Parallel to USB converter using Belkin devices?

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 10:25:58 EST

On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, M Sweger wrote:

> 1) Can I attach to the modem or zip drive a parallel to centronics
> printer port connection adaptor, then use a Belkin centronics
> to USB converter device so in essence I'm making my parallel port able
> to work on a USB bus?
>
> Is linux, using the USB driver, able to recognize this and work
> with the associated modem and zip kernel drivers without problem?

It ought to be able to, even if it doesn't right now. Someone just needs
to write a driver for the converter. This has already been done for the
USS720 chip (see drivers/usb/uss720.c) -- I don't know if the Belkin
device uses that..

> Will this work? and with linux parallel/serial s/w drivers so that
> it doesn't know a USB is present?

I don't know a lot about USB, but this almost certainly won't work.

> 3). The parallel port zip allows me to attach a centronic printer cable
> on the 2nd port. Will the Belking centronics printer to USB work
> if one were attached to it so that my USB printer works.

No.

Tim.
*/