Ethernet-multiple NICs and laptop

From: Jim Roland (jim@roland.net)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 09:32:36 EST

I have a port replicator with a 3Com 3C905C NIC built-in. When I'm docked,
my port replicator's NIC enables with eth0 and my PCMCIA network card
enables with eth1. When I'm undocked my PCMCIA card takes over eth0. How
do I get the PCMCIA card to ALWAYS use eth1???

Both network cards work fine under the kernel, in both docked and undocked
cases, but I want to force the PCMCIA card to ALWAYS be eth1.

Here is the setup:
Linux Kernel 2.2.12-20 (Redhat 6.1's stock kernel)
Docked: 3C905C-TX NIC is static IP on eth0
        PCMCIA NIC is DHCP on eth1
UnDock: PCMCIA NIC takes eth0 which forces the user to reconfigure routing
tables, etc.

How do I force PCMCIA to be eth1?

I've already tried to pass kernel params with append:
        append="ether=10,x,eth0 ether=3,0xa80,eth1"
        (the "x" is the port address I don't remember right now)

When the system comes up, with eth0 forced at 10, the system locks up
before the login prompt, but after the init scripts run. If I leave the
eth0 part out, PCMCIA takes eth0 as usual.

HELP!
TIA,
Jim