Re: Keyboard delay and repeat rate

From: Vojtech Pavlik (vojtech@suse.cz)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 06:07:10 EST

On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 12:25:27PM +0200, Guest section DW wrote:

> > I believe <Pause> is in the press-only mode when the kbd is in mode #2.
> > It just has such a long press code. In mode #3 it generates normal
> > one-byte press and release codes just like every other key and this
> > simplicity is one of big advantages of this mode.
>
> Scancode mode 3 is totally unusable since
> (i) most keys do not generate a break code, not even right Ctrl and Alt,
> so it is impossible to make key combinations like AltGr-x.

Simply not true. Most likely your i8042 is still switched into AT->XT
translating mode and is mangling the Set 3 into unusable garbage. You
can see the elegance of Set 3 only after you switch it to direct mode.

> (ii) many laptops only support scancode mode 2.

True. Many normal keyboards too. And other keyboards have broken Set 3,
sending wrong scancodes for some keys, because the manufacturers didn't
test their operation in this mode.

But if you have a keyboard that works well with Set 3, it's best to run
it in that mode.

> So, looking at other scancode modes, like 1 or 3, does not make
> support for mode 2 superfluous, and just complicates an already
> very complicated subsystem.

Scancode set 1 is XT scancode set, thus not really useful. And yes, it's
not worth adding Set 3 support to the current overcomplicated pc_keyb.c,
but when I was rewriting that (done by now), I added it to my driver and
it works really nicely.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs