Re: [patch] Space.c and -fwritable-strings

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 19:21:12 EST

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Nick Holloway wrote:

> > include/linux/netdevice.h:
> >
> > struct net_device {
> > - char *name;
> > + char name[16];
>
> Less obviously correct are the modifications to the network drivers :-)

Oh, definitely. However, most of them should be pretty straightforward,
and pretty much all of them should fall under the heading of "cleanup"
rather than anything else.

> My own feeling is that this is rather a large upheaval close to 2.4.
> Then again, it isn't my call. In addition, many of the modified drivers
> should be using init_etherdev anyway.

Well, considering that this should clean things up, you have preliminary
patches, and that any bugs this introduces should be fairly obvious (most
caught by the compiler, in fact), it's not that big of an "upheaval".

What I hate having is to have pending structural changes immedately after
a stable release - it makes it very hard to maintain patches between a
stable and the next development series if there issome fundamental small
detail that has changed, and there ends up being lots of small syntactic
differences that hide the really big and scary ones ;)

                Linus