Re: Writing to /dev/tty0 behaving like writing to /dev/null.

From: Dave Mielke (dave@mielke.cc)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 17:00:23 EST

[quoted lines by Richard B. Johnson on April 5, 2000, at 16:40]

>Okay. These sound okay. Your logical terminal should go out 4.0 and
>also 5.0. 5.0 is used to find out if stdin/out/err is the "controlling"
>terminal.

Although this wasn't my original question, I'm going to add to this subthread
anyway. "/dev/tty" has a larger difference than that. "/dev/tty" can be a
"pty", whereas "/dev/tty0" is always a virtual console. If, for example, you
log in with telnet, "/dev/tty" will be the "pty" that telnet created for you,
whereas "/dev/tty0" will be whatever the current system virtual console is.

>If you do
>`ls >/dev/tty0` it should print. If it doesn't, try it as a super-user.
>It may be that something isn't setting the protection correctly.

Thank you for getting back to the original problem.

In my case, I did try it as root and the output still did not appear. Also,
since there was no error on either the open or the write, I doubt it was a
permission proboem. What else might have been wrong?

--
Dave Mielke           | 856 Grenon Avenue | I believe that the Bible is the
EMail: dave@mielke.cc | Canada  K2B 6G3   | if you're concerned about Hell.