Re: shm: general confusion

From: Simon Kirby (sim@stormix.com)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 11:23:59 EST

On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 06:05:43PM +0200, Christoph Rohland wrote:

> grendel@vip.net.pl (Grendel) writes:
>
> > > I'm getting SMP lockups when starting a GNOME X session
> > > with the shm changes which went into pre4-3.
> > I don't know whether it is related to shm, but XFree86 4.0 hangs when
> > started under pre4-3 - previously it used to work ok. From the logs it seems
> > like it happens at some point when reading the DDC data from the monitor
> > (btw. I'm also using GNOME, but that's on an UP system).
>
> O.K. I just checked this. It is not introduced by the shm changes. I
> redid these and still get lockups using X on pre4-3.
>
> There are still the mount changes in shm.c. But there is no
> mount/umount in progress in this moment.

I can't seem to start X here (sawmill and panel both get stuck in D state
(running "down")) in pre4pre4. I took my pre2-pre3 diff, stripped out
everything but the changes to shm.c, and reverse-applied it to pre4. It
wouldn't compile (missing do_unlink because it was changed to static in
fs/namei.c), so I just added a copy of the function in ipc/shm.c just to
see if it would work. It does! I can start X again now, and it seems to
be working... it probably isn't working properly, but it at least seems
that the changes to ipc/shm.c have something to do with why X wouldn't
start.

Simon-

[ Stormix Technologies Inc. ][ NetNation Communcations Inc. ]
[ sim@stormix.com ][ sim@netnation.com ]
[ Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employers. ]