Re: Linux - Dialog (lxdialog) GPM support for 'make menuconfig'

From: Peter Samuelson (peter@cadcamlab.org)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 08:45:14 EST

NOTE: I'm moving this thread to <linux-kbuild@torque.net>. Followups
should probably lose the <linux-kernel> CC.

[Andy Knuts <akke@freegates.be>]
> I've written a patch for lxdialog which is used in the linux kernel
> for 'make menuconfig'. I also added checks for the height and width
> of the parameters givven tegego lxdialog because when you enter to
> large or to small values with the original it just segfaults. That's
> not good :))

Well, lxdialog is a rather specialized tool (customized for Linux
kernel build) so one would expect sane callers. Extra sanity checks,
however, are always welcome.

> I think lots of people like this GPM addon. Now it's possible to
> configure the kernel with the mouse wihout being in X11 or something
> :)

Also quite welcome.

> I also think it might be a cool to add it to the 2.4.x releases orso?

I'll try it out as soon as I get it compiled. I've looked over a lot
of it and it looks OK. A few notes:

  * Your patch got garbled between your machine and mine. It wasn't
    too hard to ungarble, but I wanted you to be aware that this is
    happening.

  * Your code does not compile if the user does *not* have gpm.h in the
    include path, because your `ifgpm' script is buggy. It also
    doesn't say *where* to find <gpm.h>, in case (for example)
    /usr/local/include isn't in your compiler search path. Adding a -I
    flag wouldn't hurt.

    I also don't really like your `ifgpm' script. Is there some reason
    you can't handle everything in the Makefile like we do with
    ncurses.h?

  * Learn from kernel pci, devfs, etc: you can get rid of a LOT of
    #ifdefs by making use of stub functions/variables. You can even do
    it without losing any runtime efficiency, though with lxdialog I
    don't think we care about that....

  * Split out the range-checking patch from the GPM patch. The
    range-checking seems "obviously correct" enough to go in right
    away, whereas the GPM stuff I'd like to see a bit of feedback on.

I could fix all of the above without too much trouble, but I do have
other things to do. (Don't we all?) So if you could post a cleaned-up
patch to <linux-kbuild> I'll be happy to look at it again. Otherwise
I'll do it but I'm not sure when I'll have time.

Peter