Re: NFS client hang in 2.2.15-pre17

From: Trond Myklebust (trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 05:23:45 EST

>> error 116 == -ESTALE. This means that the file handle you were
>> using against the 2.3.99 server is different from what the
>> 2.2.15 kernel understands. This seems like a quite reasonable
>> assumption. Why do you assume that it should succeed?

> I observe sometimes the same effect after a server reboot even
> if the same kernel is started again. Do I need to restart all
> NFS clients when any of their NFS servers is rebooted ? I have
> never observed a similar problem with Solaris.

This was a bug in some earlier versions of knfsd. It should have been
fixed in 2.2.14 if I remember correctly. Certainly rebooting the
server using the same kernel should not result in garbage errors
assuming you haven't done something to invalidate the mount point file
handle (such as changing the device, rm -rf mntpoint; mkdir
mntpoint). The latter will be a problem on almost any server though.

Cheers,
  Trond