Re: Shmem filesystem? DevFS? Why.

From: David Woodhouse (dwmw2@infradead.org)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 04:18:53 EST

bill.maidment@elgas.com.au said:
> What makes you think American is more advanced than English???

> And why FORCE everyone to use American? Surely you are advanced enough
> to invent compilers, etc. that will accept both forms of spelling.
> (As long as we don't get involved with other languages, like
> French.... Aaaaarrrrgggghhh)

Actually, I hear that a lot of supposed 'Americanisms' are in fact old
English words and phrases which died out here but are still used in America.

But for the case in question - 'disk' is probably a better choice. Even people
in the UK tend to use 'disk' rather than 'disc' when referring to magnetic
media, even though it's wrong.

Just don't get me started on 'billion' - even the usually-correct BBC are now
using that with the American meaning of 10^9 rather than the British 10^12.

--
dwmw2