Re: Music CD's

From: Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 19:44:14 EST

Matthew Kirkwood writes:

> > > Isn't this what makes Linux good? We don't have to have absolute,
> > > rock-solid, hard-and-fast rules about what goes where, or how it is
> > > done.
> >
> > We don't really have guidelines either, or discussion papers giving at
> > least halfway rational reasons. What we have now is agitation and
> > flaming and a lot of hysteria.
>
> Anyone who has watched linux-kernel for a while should have picked
> up a reasonable intuition about such things. A set of written
> heuristics would quickly degenerate to dogma, and prevent people
> from judging each case on its own merit, IMO.

But it's not consistent. I'm not asking for dogma. If it's not written
down somewhere (even if marked "in the opinion of the author"), then
every new FS^H^Hpiece of code has to survive a trial by flamewar. And
inevitably, the same old ground is covered each time. It's wasteful of
the time of the people flaming, and it makes linux-kernel more
voluminous, which leads to more people filtering it (or
unsubscribing).

Something that might work is that opposing views are written up, by
respected people (i.e. they should have contributed real code, rather
than vocal hangers-on), and referred to in the FAQ. And they should
have links to each other, as well.

> > > - though I wish devfs was all userspace :-)
> >
> > Impossible to get some of the neat functionality without a kernel
> > interface.
>
> True, sorry.
>
> Matthew
> - though I wish that the kernel part of devfs was limited to a
> notifier API

Same problem. You lose some really cool features.

                                Regards,

                                        Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca