Re: Music CD's

From: David Elliott (dfe@infinite-internet.net)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 18:20:40 EST

Douglas Kilpatrick wrote:

> > I am strongly against bloating the kernel with code like CD-Paranoia
> > or even with code providing hooks for error correction. Someone
>
> So just allow User-space programs to easily export file systems. Then the
> sysadmin can plug in the "cdparanoiafs" daemon if he wants to.
>
> The key word is easily. I think someone has hacked the Coda daemon
> interface to allow similar things: A better documented interface for this
> purpose should do the trick.

Yes, I think AC wanted to see it done this way if at all.

> Just because "Foo doesn't belong in the kernel" doesn't mean "Foo doesn't
> belong in the global namespace."
>
> Doug "thinks '
> mount -t user -o cdparanoiafs /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
> for i in /mnt/cdrom/*.wav
> do
> bladeenc $i ~/foo_$i.mp3
> done
> ' is really cool" Kilpatrick
> --
> kilpatds@erols.com

Errr.. that is until a CD has an unrecoverrable error (scratch) and you don't
see it because you can't see the output from cdparanoia!

I still think that this is a bad idea. It's a good an interesting hack, but
I have to ask: What is the point???

You did in 5 lines of shell code what I could do with one: cdparanoia -B "1-"
"foo.wav" which will make 01foo.wav, 02foo.wav and so on.

Couple that with the fact that trying to present an interface to read a
specific sector off of an audio CD is a broken idea anyway.

PLEASE read the "color books" for CDs. Try the red book, and also I think
the white book, and also read the documentation for cdparanoia. If you
understand those, you will understand why it's a bad idea to present an
interface that encourages trying to read a cd audio track sector by sector.

Basically, the reason I feel so strongly about this is that right now we have
very good CD Audio tools for linux (cdparanoia, and even cdda or whatever)
and good GUI programs that combine using cdparanoia and an encoder to make
MP3s. Compare this with the hundreds of poorly written Windows audio ripping
programs. Hell, some people even record the audio with the sound card out of
the CD player. That always makes it sound real good coming through that 3
wire unsheilded cable. I do NOT want to see a bunch of crap like this for
Linux.

-Dave