Re: Music CD's

From: Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 17:36:37 EST

David Balazic writes:
> reply 1:
>
> Alan Cox wrote :
>
> > > someone saying we should have one/it's a WIP/it's out there. What's
> > > the story? Assuming there is such a beast out there, is there a reason
> > > it's not in the kernel?
> >
> > If its in kernel someone did it wrong. You can do it just as well using
> > userspace and the coda vfs hooks.
>
> Yeah , but the same argument applies to FAT, NFS , UFS and all the
> others too , no ?

True. It's not clear to me where the distinction is drawn. Why does FS
A get into the kernel, and FS B is pushed to user-space?

> > Audio sector format doesnt fit the VFS caches in the first place.
>
> Well the audiofs from http://fly.cc.fer.hr/~ptolomei/audiofs/
> uses the page-cache with no problems.
>
> Alltough after using it for 5 minutes I don't think it makes sense,
> because it won't give any speedup ( unles you have vast amounts of
> memory, the beginning of the song will be flushed when you try to
> read it again and also all the other usefull cached data, just the
> end of the song will be in the cache , but it will be flushed as you
> read the song from the beginning. It would only be good for small local
> accesses, but that is not a tipical use for CDDA. The only benefit is
> maybe
> the read-ahead ) and just uses up the cache-memory from better usage.

It's a more convenient way to access the data. Also, it may solve the
problem of playing your audio CD and at the same time reading the
ISO9660 data. Right now, a read from the block device causes the CD
playing to stop (not just stall, but stop).

Of course, it would mean that you have to consume a bit of CPU to play
your CD, but that's a tradeoff the user should be allowed to make.

> another reply :
>
> Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca) wrote :
>
> > Whether it's done as a bona-fide audiofs, or a user-space programme
> > talking to codafs is a separate issue. I'd just like to see something
> > made available. I keep hearing whispers, but haven't seen anything
> > concrete yet.
>
> As already mentioned by others :
>
> audiofs : http://fly.cc.fer.hr/~ptolomei/audiofs/
> cdfs : http://www.elis.rug.ac.be/~ronsse/cdfs/

I looked at the patch. It mentions a non-existant file:
Documentation/filesystems/audiofs.txt

                                Regards,

                                        Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au