Writing to /dev/tty0 behaving like writing to /dev/null.

From: Dave Mielke (dave@mielke.cc)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 17:17:01 EST

Hi:

I'm using the 2.2.12-20 kernel which comes with RedHat 6.1. My understanding is
that /dev/tty0 is always the current virtual console. I would expect,
therefore, that writing to it should always cause data to appear on the screen.
This is, in fact, what usually does happenˇ

My problem is that, a little earlier today, data written to /dev/tty0 stopped
appearing. I could still write to it, i.e. it did not return an error, but it
was as though the data was being written somewhere else (or, perhaps, nowhere).
I could still write to /dev/tty1 (or whatever non-zero tty matched the virtual
console I was currently using, and the data would appear. Just data written to
/dev/tty0 dfid not show up.

I saved /dev/tty0's stty settings, and then rebooted. After rebooting, data
written to /dev/tty0 started to appear again. I then checked its stty settings
again, and they were exactly the same as they were before the reboot when it
was not working.

Do any of you have any idea regarding what might have caused this problem?

Thanks.

--
Dave Mielke           | 856 Grenon Avenue | I believe that the Bible is the
EMail: dave@mielke.cc | Canada  K2B 6G3   | if you're concerned about Hell.