should thread termination generate SIGCHLD in parent process?

From: Britton (fsblk@aurora.uaf.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 17:02:37 EST

I know linux uses one-to-one thread to process model, but I'm still
suprized to be getting a SIGCHLD back some time after the last thread has
exited without error and apparently having done it's job correctly. It is
always when I try to close /dev/dsp that one of the child processes (I
think the manager thread) goes zombie and the already <defunct> zombie
child threads die off that this signal gets generated and shows up in the
parent process. Is this the expected behavior? Why does the signal
always show up during the close(dsp_fd)?

I am running 2.2.14 and glibc 2.1.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Britton Kerin