Re: Locking and mapping User VA pages

From: Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 16:08:23 EST

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 06:03:41PM -0500, Venkatesh Ramamurthy wrote:
> I want my card to directly read/write into the user address space. For this
> i need to lock the pages and want it to create my own sg list. what is the
> best method for it?
> i am trying to use map_user_kiobuf() and unmap_kiobuf(). Is there any other
> better method?

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to have a device
driver mapped into user space, then you want to create the pages in
kernel space first then mmap them. If you want to pass user address
space buffers directly to the driver, then the map_user_kiobuf()
mechanism is exactly the way to go.

--Stephen