Re: mad dmesg output with via-rhine driver

From: Urban Widmark (urban@svenskatest.se)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 12:51:02 EST

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Jim Breton wrote:

> 2) installed a new ethernet card, a PCI D-Link DFE-530TX.
>
> I have been running 2.2.14 since its release (and I have been compiling
> my own kernels since first installing slink with 2.0.36). I previously was
> using an ISA NE-2000 card.
>
> My first question is this: why does the Rhine driver show up so many
> times in my dmesg output? I compiled my kernel twice thinking I had

Because it prints its name each time it is probed for (eth0-7) + one for
when it finds one(?). This was changed in 2.2.11, before that there was a
static int that kept it quiet after the first printout. The 2.3 driver
only prints it once (yes, the static int is back ... :).

> # ifconfig eth0
> eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:BA:C9:35:88
> inet addr:192.168.1.1 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
> UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
> collisions:4 txqueuelen:100
> Interrupt:11 Base address:0xe000

          collisions:2 txqueuelen:100
% uptime
  7:05pm up 27 min, 11 users, load average: 0.04, 0.03, 0.00

> I know 4 is not a lot of collisions, but I just rebooted a few minutes ago
> because of another problem (will get to that in a min), whereas prior to
> rebooting, I was seeing about 800 collisions after running for around 8
> hours. This machine doesn't see heavy LAN traffic, it's a
> workstation/gateway for a small home LAN (2 linux boxen, 1 FreeBSD and 1
> OpenBSD) behind a dial-up connection. My old card produced no collisions.

Could be a driver problem (either that the ne2k doesn't give you correct
info on collisions or that the via doesn't) or some hardware problem ...
I really don't know.

> My other problem is a strange X lockup that I found this morning. I
> normally wouldn't mention this on linux-kernel but I am curious if it
> might be related to the new network card or its driver.

There are some locking changes (fixes) in 2.3, but I don't know if those
apply to 2.2.

> My screen saver was permanently being displayed on my screen and I had to
> ssh in from another box on the network. All the X clients were already

If you could ssh then it probably isn't the network driver. I was thinking
maybe some kind of deadlock, but then everyone should be blocked.

> the screen. Btw the keybd and serial mouse were totally unresponsive
> through all of this, even after unplugging them/plugging them back in.

I've never heard of a mouse or keyboard that would "wake up" by being
"rebooted" like that ...

> Linux version 2.2.14 (jamesb@tarkin) (gcc version 2.95.2 20000313 (Debian GNU/Linux)) #3 Mon Apr 3 20:20:12 EDT 2000

gcc 2.95.2 miscompiles the init_ring function of the 2.3.99-pre3 via-rhine
driver, so you need a separate patch if you want to test that.

/Urban