driver API

From: rsevenic (rsevenic@linuxstart.com)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 09:19:45 EST

I am not a member of this list at this point, so
if you care to respond please copy to
rsevenic@linuxstart.com

The number of folks interested in writing device
drivers is rapidly escalating, especially with
large companies getting on the bandwagon.

One of the largest hurdles for these folks is
gleaning changes to the device driver API as
the kernel moves from 2.0 -> 2.2 -> 2.4. This
can be accomplished (very inefficiently) by
watching this list perhaps as digested by kernel
traffic, watching for articles such as Alan
Cox's article on the 2.0 -> 2.2 transition in
linux-mag, etc.

The bottom line is that a large number of people
go through this painstakingly slow and inefficient
process - especially if they want to be on the
leading edge. Of course, you (the central developers)
are too busy to deal with this - and it can be
argued that this problem is just a property of
working on this edge.

At any rate, I see a need for an evolving document
which tracks the evolving API. I am not involved
in the work you do, but watch it and do work on the
periphery. Nevertheless, I would be interested in
maintaining such a document. The only way I could
see it working would be for those of you
involved in the driver API to send me contributed
material which I would then organize and make
available. I'd essentially be an editor.

I would see my involvement as not only coalescing
contributed material, but using that to construct
driver templates and working examples.

If you think this plan has merit as presented or
with appropriate modifications, I would
appreciate feedback - and suggestions of how to
proceed further if this is considered worthwhile.

Regards,
Richard Sevenich