Re: VFS/MSDOS filesystem rmdir/file "busy" problem and test file.

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 09:14:51 EST

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, M Sweger wrote:

> Viro,
> I'm experiencing a "Device or Resource Busy" error message for the
> following attached "C" source program for both UMSDOS and MSDOS
> filesystems. This problem doesn't occur for ext2 nor for a Sun Solaris
> v2.5.1 filesystems. This has been a problem since at least 2.2.13 kernels
> but didn't occur for 2.2.1. I've been in contact with the UMSDOS
> maintainer and he helped isolate the problem to the attached test source
> program.

Yeah, not a new problem. Try it on minixfs and you'll get the same. It's
on the list of fixes for 2.3, but not exactly at the top - there are more
pressing ones. 2.2.1 didn't have it, it just had a huge race around the
same places. Backporting to 2.2 will be non-trivial - solution will have
to rely on new locking protocol or it will be ugly as hell. _After_ that
will be done in 2.3, OK?