Re: POSSIBLE SMP KERNEL BUG ?

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 07:37:30 EST

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Jon wrote:

> The System:
>
> Abit BP6 Motherboard (new, w/ factory bios)
> -all power managment in bios turned off, as was mentioned in the
> SMP-HOWTO
> 2 Celeron 500mhz ppga CPUs (new)
> Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 40 - 30gb hard disk (new)
> Trident 1mb video card
> 128MB of PC100 Ram (new)
> 3COM 3c905b NIC (new)
> Rackmount 2U ATX chassis
>

> Here is a copy of the error I recieved with a Stock RedHat 6.1 "Server
> Install" booting with 2.2.12-20smp RPM kernel right after install. I hope I
> didn't make any copying errors, I had to type it on a different computer:

As a test. Remove one CPU (keep the same SMP kernel). If the machine
works, test the other CPU in the same socket. If it doesn't, swap
sockets, etc. The idea is to see if there is a motherboard/CPU
problem. Some BIOS/Motherboard-pin documentation is not clear. You
may be hitting the CPUs with the wrong raw clock speed. Some have
different multipliers within, you might be trying to run the CPUs at
as much as twice their rated speed.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.3.41 on an i686 machine (800.63 BogoMips).