Re: Music CD's

From: David Balazic (david.balazic@uni-mb.si)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 06:14:00 EST

Kelsey Hudson - kernel mailing list account
(kernel@blackhole.compendium-tech.com) wrote :

> Music CDs do not have a filesystem per se and therefore cannot be mounted.

Depends on your view point. There are tracks , that could be interpeted
as files.
True there are no directories , unless you count sessions as ones ...

> If you want to listen to CDs, there are several programs available, for
> instance cdplay, xplaycd, etc.
>
> for those you don't have to mount the CD, they will automagically read the
> data off them for you.

They wont read the data. They will send a PLAY command to the drive,
which would
then read the data, convert it to analog form, send that thru a wire to
the
sound card, where it is mixed to the Line-out if the card.

<going off topic ...>
I prefer the normal way : read the data , send it to /dev/audio,
like with music from hard-drives, floppies , ZIP media , MO disks ...

david balazic