Re: Keyboard delay and repeat rate

From: David Balazic (david.balazic@uni-mb.si)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 04:55:57 EST

Rik Faith wrote:

> On Thu 30 Mar 2000 13:33:19 +0100,
> David Balazic <david.balazic@uni-mb.si> wrote:
> > Hi , the man page kbdrate(8) , which mentions you in the CREDITS section,
> > says that in Intel the choices for delay times are 250,500,750 and 1000 ms.
> >
> > But doesn't the keyboard just send key-down and key-up messages , so
> > the OS could implement any delay ( and also any repeat rate ) ?
>
> It's been a number of years, but my understanding was that the keyboard
> controller chip detected a lengthy key-down state and then started to send
> fake key-up and key-down messages until the key was actually raised. This
> is why the delay and rate depend on the keyboard controller chip.
>
> > At least that is the way it works on Amiga , and I think
> > PC and amiga keyboards are pretty compatible, but I could be mistaken too...

But then how do games work ?
I mean moving forward in quake would be jerky it this was the case, no ?

I'm sending this to linux-kernel to gather more (useful!) answers.
I also CCed it to various people that are connected with the KBD code,
looking into the kernel source and CREDITS files...

regards,

--
David Balazic , student
E-mail   : 1stein@writeme.com     |     living in  sLOVEnija