Re: NFS taking up tons of CPU time (2.3.99 SMP)

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 23:49:32 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:

> server: linux-mandrake 7.0 (2.2.15pre+patches), standard knfsd (no
> nfsv3)
> client: 2.3.99-pre4-pre3 SMP, NFSv3 client with default options
>
> The only activity on the machine AFAICS is an FTP download of an ISO to
> a local drive. Two other NFS mounts are automounted currently, but
> inactive and will disappear when amd reaps them in a few minutes.

Er, oops. I got the client and server mixed up (as hopefully people
concluded from the nfsd process listing :)). I shouldn't try to file a
bug report and handle an unrelated problem at the same time. :)

client is linux-mandrake 7.0 (2.2.15pre+patches)
server is 2.3.99-pre4-pre3 SMP, NFSv3 server with default options

The situation is an NCFTP download of an ISO, at a reported 130 Kb/s,
from an Internet site, through a NAT gateway, to the 2.2.x client, who
is then storing the ISO on an NFS-mounted partition located on the 2.3.x
NFSv3 server across a 100baseT local LAN.

NFSv3 server, an Asus Dual-PII box, winds up with the nfs daemons taking
up tons of CPU time... way more than is reasonable to simply store an
ISO on a LAN.

--
Jeff Garzik              | Tact is the ability to tell a man
Building 1024            | he has an open mind when he has a