Re: AFFS fixes v1

From: Matthias Andree (ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 05:09:36 EST

"Rask Ingemann Lambertsen" <rask-linux@kampsax.k-net.dk> writes:

> > Prove that. It blows itself off its very feet when crashing at the wrong
> > time and leaving a system behind that's corrupted beyond repair. This is
> > happening all over the place every now and then.
>
> AFFS is as good (or bad) as ext2 in this regard. Hopefully Reiserfs will
> save Linux users from such trouble the same way PFS/AFS/SFS has for Amiga
> users.

No, AFFS is much worse. It needs reordering hash chains, touching
several and so on even on a single rename. If your machine crashes
before all blocks have been written, you're in trouble, since tools that
handle this do not come with AmigaOS. I've NEVER lost so much data with
ext2 because of corruption as I recently lost with affs (on
AmigaOS). AFFS is fine only as long as you don't touch anything.

> More likely due to lack of time. The on-disk format of SFS is fully
> documented, AFAIK.

Maybe.

The other way round, there seems to be a port of The Real FFS named
BFFS. Seems unmaintained, never used it.

--
Matthias Andree

Where do you think you're going today?