x86 ring levels

From: Michael T. Babcock (mikebabcock@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 00:43:40 EST

My boss and I were having a discussion on OS security for servers the
other day and the issue of ring levels came up. We were discussing how
NT handles ring levels on x86 machines and were wondering if Linux makes
use of them at all to make process security (memory writing, etc.) more
secure or if this functionality in the chip is ignored. If the latter,
what are the reasons for not using it? If the former, how much security
is being gained?

--
       -=+0+=-< Michael T. Babcock >-=+0+=-