Linux (kernel) upgrade or new installation on RH 6.0 and gcc questions

From: Stephen Liu (satimis@writeme.com)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 00:00:32 EST

Hi everybody,

(If this posting is OT please accept my apology first and appreciated to be
informed of the right mailing list)

I tried to install Linux-2.3.42 on RedHat 6.0, but it needs gcc-2.7.0 and
above which I could not find its command in the said packet. I tried to
install gcc-2.8.0 on the aforesaid packet, having it complied under
/gcc-2.8.0, created a directory 'objdir' in the same directory and tried
following steps respectively to configure 'gcc' in the aforesaid directory
without success.

a) ./configure --host=objdir or
b) ./configure --host objdir

following error message prompts:

check host system type... Invalid configuration 'objdir': machine :
'objdir' not recognized
check target system type... Invalid configuration 'objdir': machine :
'objdir' not recognized
check build system type... Invalid configuration 'objdir': machine :
'objdir' not recognized
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
configure: error: no acceptable cc. found in $PATH

c) ./configure --prefix=objdir or
d) ./configure --prefix objdir or
e) ./configure --build=objdir or
f)) ./configure --build objdir or

following error message prompts:
checking host system type... configure: error: cannot guess host type; you
must specify one

Kindly advise how to proceed, any incorrect syntax, or shed me some light
where is the right list for this posting

(I tried to post this message to gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org for 2 weeks but their
server seems down. I also tried gcc-announce@gcc.gnu.org, of which I am a
subscriber listname@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org without any response )

Thanks in advance.