Re: 8085 Microprocessor

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 21:43:56 EST

On Sat, 1 Apr 2000 sarcar@vsnl.com wrote:

> Hello,
> I have just started work on interfacing an 8085 microprocessor with a
> Linux box using serial/parallel port. This is a grad project to harness the
> electromechanical capability of microprocessors and providing a Web
> interface thru Liux. Does anybody know of previous work done to harness 8085
> and Linux. Pointers, info are welcome.
>
> I am also rather inconfident about whether the code should be developed as a
> "driver" for a microprocessor or just as a program which probes serial/parallel
> port for communication signals of a predefined protocol and acts accordingly.
> Sorry, if the last para is fudgy. I do not understand the model myself.
> Criticisms welcome.

You put the 8085 on your workbench with the notch pointing up. Then
you connect all the left-hand pins together with #20 wire and 60/40
solder. Next you connect all the right-hand leads together in the same
manner.

Then you cut the zip-cord going to a table lamp so the hot wire is
exposed. You connect the line-side to the left pins, and you connect
the lamp-side to the right-hand pins. Either unplug the lamp first
or do not use a grounded soldering iron.

Now you have a microprocessor-controlled lamp. To turn it ON, plug
in in, to turn if OFF, unplug it. You can use this to illuminate
your Linux box.

FYI, a Z-80 works better. It doesn't get as hot. However, the
op-codes are not compatible.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.3.41 on an i686 machine (800.63 BogoMips).