Re: NWFS 2.2.2 Source Code for Linux Kernels 2.0/2.2/2.4 Released

From: Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 18:21:14 EST

On Sat, Apr 01, 2000 at 11:14:03PM +0200, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> Andi,
>
> I agree with everything except the part about scanning in user space. I
> have to do this in the NT version, and it's akward to handle.

There is really not much alternative to it when you want to
support Linux software RAID, Linux LVM or some advanced distribution
kernel setups (that use kmod to load drivers dynamically). Both RAID
and LVM require user space tools to run first before you can access
their block devices. You at least need to add a way to force a rescan
of disks later (after bootup). Doing it in user space is more flexible
and serves the Unix philosophy of putting ``mechanism not policy''
into the kernel well.

-Andi