Re: NWFS 2.2.2 Source Code for Linux Kernels 2.0/2.2/2.4 Released

From: Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 12:24:18 EST

jmerkey@timpanogas.com (Jeff V. Merkey) writes:

> Linux Kernel 2.4 removed some exported API's necessary for NWFS to
> support mirroring and striping on Linux. NWFS must scan all disks
> in a Linux server with valid NetWare partitions in order to build
> a complete map of all stripped volume segments and mirror group memebers

It would be probably best to implement such scanning in user space.
That allows the best policy control by the user. The LVM code does that
(although its implementation could be improved by using more).
Doing it completely when on-demand loaded drivers are present is rather
hard in user space, and impossible in kernel space. To do it 100% correctly
you would need to map PCI device ids to driver names, then load the
necessary drivers, then check /proc/partitions and /proc/devices (it
probably need distribution specific hooks). LVM just checks /dev currently.
Using /proc/partitions is a good start. Your kernel space way will
probably not work with on demand loaded drivers.

> The VM Cache Manager Interface used by NWFS under Windows NT/2000 is
> almost identical in form and function to the design and implementation
> of the page cache in Linux. As such, we are restructuring this code
> and are porting it to Linux. Most of what's needed for the
> page_aops functions for the page cache is contained in this code.
> This code is currently written in Windows 2000-ease -- we are
> re-doing this code for Linux 2.4. This work will be completed
> over the weekend (I am almost finished porting it as I write
> this). The readpage, writepage, bmap, etc. functions are
> currently commented out in the 2.4 build until this code module
> has been ported to Linux.

This will fix the shared mmap problems.

-Andi

--