Re: block_dev.c not backward compatible with 2.2.15 APIs

From: Christoph Hellwig (chhellwig@gmx.net)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 04:22:31 EST

On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 at 09:15:49AM -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> NetWare does not follow the Unix model of "one partition, one file
> system tree" (which is an ancient and limiting architecture for File
> Systems).

Hmm, there's something called Logical Volume Manger (LVM), I think you'll like it ...

> NetWare partition can host 8 volumes segments per partition, and these
> segments can be for the same volume or 8 other stripped volumes). I
> need to be able to scan the volume tables on each NetWare partition in
> order to build a global map of all NetWare volume segments on all drives
> (a single sector read per drive to locate the volume segment tables).

You can do all that using a LVM. Th linux implementation is half-merged since
2.3.47 and you can find it's homepage at http://linux.msede.com/lvm/

Christoph

--
Always remember that you are unique.  Just like everyone else.