Re: Keyboard rate question..

From: Evan Langlois (evanlanglois@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 03:13:26 EST

--- Pavel Machek <pavel@suse.cz> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > > Imagine your kernel is having awfull interrupt latencies. Then HW
> > > autorepeat makes sense and no SW autorepeat can be as good.
> >
> > Assuming you have an interval timer this is incorrect and both are
> the same
> > or the SW one potentially better.
> >
> > If you have an interval timer you can at any point reconstruct the
> number of
> > key repeats lost and generate them as a block. If you have a
> repeating keyboard
> > you are constrained by the buffering on the controller
>
> No. At PC side, you no longer know _when_ key was
> pressed/released. Keyboard itself knows it much better ;-).

Hmm .. I misssed whatever started this, but I've noticed that under
recent kernels, my key repeat is pathetically slow, basically the default
for the keyboard. I would think it should be set by some config utility
like Gnome or something, but it doesn't seem to. I have to hit Fn-F6
(which is my keyboards way of setting a faster key repeat). Kinda
annoying - whatever changed .. it was better before :P

-- Evan