Re: On the issue of low memory situations

From: Nicholas Vinen (hb@sonique.com)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 08:47:05 EST

On 21 Mar 2000, Rask Ingemann Lambertsen wrote:

> Den 18-Mar-00 15:14:13 skrev Jesse Pollard følgende om "Re: On the issue of low memory situations":
>
> > The daemon could not have a fixed amount of memory. Each time it attempts to
> > record more data, it will have to expand. New processes will have to have
> > more entries for data...
>
> No. On Un*x systems there is a fixed limit to the number of processes.
> On linux you run out at 512 or so if you don't modify the source. But
> anyway, the daemon itself only needs to keep the configuration data around.
> Once the daemon has started up, it will only need to allocate memory to
> load new configuration data. If it mmap()s the config file, it doesn't even
> need to do that.

   Yes, it's possible to write any app pretty with static memory needs.
This just means allocating much memory at the start, restricting the work
it does or both. I certainly won't hestitate to say that I would be able
to write such a program. You'd also use mlockall() to make sure you had
stack available for processing when needed etc.

         Nicholas