Re: Avoiding OOM on overcommit...?

From: Rask Ingemann Lambertsen (rask-linux@kampsax.k-net.dk)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 10:02:51 EST

Den 19-Mar-00 22:31:05 skrev James Sutherland fĝlgende om "Re: Avoiding OOM on overcommit...?":
> On Sat, 18 Mar 2000 07:39:23 -0600, you wrote:

>>I have no problem with overcommit on a workstation system that is
>>dedicated to one user. It is truly horrible to do that to a server,
>>whether it is for web usage, mail, DNS, disk, or multiple users.

> How is demand-allocation of VM a "horrible" thing to do?

   The way linux does it, for example. malloc() and fork() do not permit
the kernel to do demand-allocation, but linux uses it in those cases
anyway. That breaks programs.

Regards,

/ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻTŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ\
| Rask Ingemann Lambertsen | E-mail: mailto:rask@kampsax.dtu.dk |
| Please do NOT Cc: to me or the | WWW: http://www.gbar.dtu.dk/~c948374/ |
| mailing list. I am on the list.| "ThrustMe" on XPilot, ARCnet and IRC |
| GOD is REAL ... unless declared INTEGER. |