Re: What do people thjnk? [ ANS: not much ]

From: Matthew Jacob (mjacob@feral.com)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 04:04:24 EST

btw- it's with much amusement I note the the Legato Networker packages being
used as a "example" of incompatibility- I believe these are the packages I
built for all && sundry for free back in August 1998- they were built on
Redhat 5.1 or 5.2- but not much attention was paid to making sure they would
be particularly clean across multiple glibc instances- frankly. it's amazing
that they work at all, mostly due to toe stubbing over usually forgetting to
install the ncurses rpm (for the couple of tools that need it), so it's not
clear at all that the so-called techical diagnosis of the problem is in fact
correct. This was a lightly tested port of fairly complicated networking
software that runs on about 29 different platforms and a more likely alternate
scenario of somebody forgetting to start the portmapper on the Debian
installation is probably what happened. The conclusion that this was a
"platform difference" implying that there is a lack of cohesion in all the
Linux flavors is not supported by the facts as (sloppily) reported- no more so
than most so-called "complex OS" platforms (anyone try and track win32
compatibility issues?).

IMO, such as it is, Linux does a fair to good job of balancing platform needs
with common core needs- maybe a bit too much punted into the platform specific
includes, but that's getting a lot better. There are also some differences
contributed by the various end-packagers, but most of the complaints about
all of this are sheer pettifoggery by folks who seem to find all OS issues a
challenge, no matter what the platform or context.