Re: Tentative patch: modularized disk partition systems in 2.3.99-pre2-5

From: Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 16:46:56 EST

Adam J. Richter writes:
> I realize I am starting to wander into a general discussion
> about software engineering strategy for the Linux kernel. So, unless
> there is some specific factual correction that I want to make, I
> think I've expessed my point, and will probably let you (Russel) have
> the last word now if you want.

Ok, my last word on the subject is that changing the partition code to
be modules seems like an acceptable change (subject to Linus' of course),
but I think the autodetection and usermode stuff is not such a good idea.

I think this is a nice compromise - it allows kernels to be built with
just the minimum required to mount the root filesystem; everything else
can be loaded as a module as the user requires. IMHO, the user should
know what they're doing if they are fiddling around with "foreign" hard
drive partition tables after all.
   _____
  | | | | http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/aboutme.html / / |
  / | THE developer of ARM Linux |+| /|\