Re: Avoiding OOM on overcommit...?

From: Jesse Pollard (pollard@cats-chateau.net)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 06:16:17 EST

On Sun, 19 Mar 2000, Paul Jakma wrote:
>On Sun, 19 Mar 2000, Jesse Pollard wrote:
>
> It all depends on the application. I have seen embeded systems that
> could cause a loss of life on failure. I have worked on some that
> almost cost the job of the manager who sent it out.
>
>obviously you're talking about linux, or any other general purpose
>timesharing OS then?

No I'm not. Linux doesn't have the reliability yet. Cray UNICOS has
been used to control nukes though (or so I've been told).

>Overcommit is good, everyone does it, it's not going away. let's stop
>talking about it...

NO not everyone. It is done when management decides that it is too
expensive to avoid it, and when it is determined not to be life
threatening.

Look how upset the FAA gets when the air traffic system dies. That was/is
based on an old production system (more batch than interactive).
Now nobody is saying they are planning to use Linux for that, but it is
a counterexample.