Re: Tentative patch: modularized disk partition systems in 2.3.99-pre2-5

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 08:52:26 EST

> This patch should allow the disk partition handlers to be
> compiled as loadable modules. The patch also has the side effect
> of simplifying fs/partitions/Makefile. At this point, I can

What stops me unloading one of the partition drivers in your patch while
the partition scan is stalled waiting for a disk block, and the box then
crashing ?

Similarly its not proofed against two parallel insmods in theory (SMP)
although I think the kernel lock covers it

> +cleanup_module(void)
> +{

        How about taking a semaphore here, when registering and also
        before doing the scan

> + unregister_partition_ops(&ops);

That should make everything stall until the partition scanner has finished