Re: Loading Linux from Linux - opinions

From: Ronald G. Minnich (rminnich@lanl.gov)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2000 - 12:19:42 EST

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Evan Langlois wrote:

> I've downloaded the LOBOS stuff and I'm gonna try doing some
> experimentation with that this weekend. Its occured to me that a single
> linux application running under a stripped down kernel (which could even
> reside on a DOS drive to get around 1024 cyl limitations), could provide
> a number of useful features if you can grab a kernel from any drive and
> boot it.

That's the idea. I built LOBOS because it's a required first step in using
Linux for things like netboot. Linux is actually not that much larger than
the netboot programs (see Sun's netboot: it's 192K!), and it can pretty
much do anything we need, including booting over non-traditional boot
media such as Giganet, Myrinet, or SCI.

LOBOS is a good proof-of-concept. It seems now that it's working people
are making better implementations: Werner has improved on the LOBOS idea
in many ways and we now have bootimg, and Eric at SCYLD computing has got
something too. So we now have three ways to do this. There's still one or
two things LOBOS does I like better than the others, but then again that's
what opinions are for :-)

I love this community...

> As long as LILO boots a stripped down, quick loading kernel, that kernel
> can be used to do all sorts of stuff including boot your main kernel,
> give a boot menu, or even some of the features of an OpenPROM system.

you got it. see www.acl.lanl.gov/linuxbios

All your other ideas are interesting. I still think we've got to get to a
true linuxbios to make some of these things work the best.

ron