Re: network interface still stops after 20 days 7 hours in 2.2.14

From: Wakko Warner (wakko@animx.eu.org)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 20:16:56 EST

> This is a problem some people seem to have with 2.2.12, but I'm still
> having it in 2.2.14:
>
> 2.2.12:
>
> After 20 days uptime a network interface just stops, routing, ifconfig
> etc. seems fine, just no network traffic coming in or going out.
> No messages in logs.
> Seems to happen on a 2.2.12 machine with multiple NIC's and multiple
> IP's on NIC's.
> The one describing the problem on one of the mailing lists rebooted the
> machines every week -I've not been able to reach him-.
>
> 2.2.14:
>
> Got a machine with multiple NIC's, (3), multiple IP's on them, ipchains,
> one of the interfaces is configured with ipx+ip.
> After 20 days and 7 hours, the interface with ipx+ip stops, ifconfig,
> routing etc. still seem to be completely happy.
> doing an "ifdown eth0; ifup eth0" makes things work again.

> using ipx+ip (ehh, just a guess).
>
> Anyone having similar problems/had similar problems, the "20 days 7
> hours" seems to have something to do with it.

Would you happen to be using 3c509 cards? I had a machine at work with our
ISP connection on a 3c509. After about 130 days (I know you said 20, but it
was 130 for me), the card quit, no incoming, no outgoing. I thought the
card quit, but I put it in another machine, no problems, so I assume the
driver quit. ifconfig eth[x] down;ifconfig eth[x] up;<add routes here> and
everything works... for 5-10 minutes. Unloading the module didn't help.

This may be completely unrelated, but while I was changing HW on that
machine, another box (up for 131 days) rebooted on me for no reason (it's
behind a firewall, and the people at the place aren't that good. I also
noted that nothing appeared in the log. FSCK took it's tole on the box
too). Is it just a coincidence that the machine that rebooted like that has
the same 2 nics? (both boxes: 3c905b(eth0) and 3c509(eth1), same mobo, both
using SMP kernel, the one with the ISP had 1 cpu removed to get around IDE
lockups. Kernels: 2.2.10 on isp box, 2.2.13 on box that rebooted for no
reason)