How can I convert a dynamically linked binary into a static one?

From: Michael Mess (michael@michaelmess.de)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 13:59:02 EST

Hi!

I have a dynamically linked binary (without source code) and the
libraries necessary to run it and I want to convert it into a statically
linked binary that runs without these libraries.

How can I do that?

The problem I have is a glibc5-binary on a glibc6 system which ignores
LD_LIBRARY_PATH. So I don't know how to stop the binary doing suicide by
eating the libc6-linked libX11 on my system which makes it die on
SIGSEGV.

I would like to explicitely specify the libraries which this binary
should be statically linked with, so that it gets the right libraries to
run.

Greetings, Michael