Re: [patch-2.3.47] /proc/driver/microcode -> /dev/cpu/microcode

From: George (greerga@nidhogg.ham.muohio.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 09:39:50 EST

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Tigran Aivazian wrote:

>All these things under discussion do not require major/minor numbers
>because they are just regular files, e.g. /proc/cpuinfo or
>/proc/driver/rtc. Although I agree with Richard that "devfs" is the best
>name for devfs, it creates a tiny bit of misconception that it is only for
>device nodes. But devfs_register() allows to create both regular files and
>device nodes, look at its declaration and read the comments around it.

I mean "devfs compiled out of kernel." If that is so, I would hope
whatever stubs of compatibility code left in would not create filesystem
/dev files by themselves. And if there is no devfs in the kernel and you
yank something from /proc, that leaves major/minors for grabbing the data,
like '/dev/sndstat' does for backwards compatibility.

I'd check, but my 2.3.x kernel tree is currently at home and I'm not...

If you go with the "tough, use devfs" stance in 2.3.x, people just
contradicted themselves in earlier arguments that devfs is optional. I
have no objections to progress, but please tread carefully in what you have
promised after being elected. (One of the recent ones for Americans being,
"Read my lips, no new taxes.")

-George Greer