2.3.47 kernel panic with serial.o

From: Yau Man NG (yman@cabsav.vu.edu.au)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 00:26:33 EST

The following sequence of commands involving the serial module will
cause kernel panic

su -
/sbin/insmod serial
/sbin/rmmod serial
/sbin/insmod serial
/sbin/rmmod serial

The last command will hang.
The process consumes a lot of CPU time and cannot be killed.
Every thing seems to work okay. The system can be gracefully reboot or
shutdown.
I can insmod and rmmod other modules such as lp as many time as I like
before or after
the above sequence of commands without any problem.

However if I try to access /dev/ttyS0, by doing
cat /dev/ttyS0
the kernel will panic with following message (hand copied)

code: c7 05 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 83 c4 04 89 f1 ff 09 0f 88 e2
Aiee, killing interrupt handler
kernel panic: Attempted to kill the idle task!
In Interrupt handler - not syncing

I am not 100% sure about the number of 00s above

2.2.13 does not have the above problem.

System information
kernel compiled with gcc 2.7.2.3
modutils 2.3.9
kmod enabled

dmesg shows
Serial driver version 4.92 (2000-1-27) with MANY_PORTS SHARE_IRQ
SERIAL_PCI enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

Hope the above information help the debugging of this problem.

If you need any more info please let me know

Many thanks