NMI every 5 minutes. Weird.

From: Chris Richards (crichard-lkml@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 21:57:57 EST

[Please CC replies, as I'm not on the list.]

Abstract:
  Version 2.2.14, UP, vanilla except for emu10k1 audio module. ECC RAM,
  APM enabled. Kernel reports NMI every 5 minutes after the system stops
  receiving keyboard input, and ceases reporting when input resumes.

My system had been running for some weeks without incident, when
without any discernible provocation my logs started filling with:

Feb 21 23:01:09 spong kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received. Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
Feb 21 23:01:09 spong kernel: You probably have a hardware problem with your RAM chips
Feb 21 23:06:12 spong kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received. Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
Feb 21 23:06:12 spong kernel: You probably have a hardware problem with your RAM chips
Feb 21 23:11:15 spong kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received. Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
Feb 21 23:11:15 spong kernel: You probably have a hardware problem with your RAM chips

And so forth, approximately every 5 minutes. It seems to begin after
I've been away from the keyboard for a while, and stops as soon as I
return to typing (or perhaps mousing). Neither network activity nor
the running of batch jobs seem to be relevant.

The only thing this remotely resembles is the nmi_watchdog, which it
plainly isn't. I doubt that it's my "RAM chips", as my box had been
running fine, and I can't aggravate the NMIs with a kernel compile, or
something similar that touches a lot of memory. I further doubt the
APM stuff, again because I've had that enabled for ages without any
ill effects.

My only suspect, then, is the emu10k1 module, but I've searched the
devel list for that, and nobody seems to be having this problem.

Bewildered,
Chris