Re: Capabilities

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 19:09:14 EST

Jesse Pollard <pollard@tomcat.admin.navo.hpc.mil> said:

[...]

> On one system I use (Cray UNICOS), the shell cannot change security
> classifications without:
>
> 1. be a login shell with a parent process that is flagged as a security
> user entry point(telentd/sshd recieve these privilages).
> 2. have no subprocesses
> 3. have no open output files other than the controlling terminal (ie. don't
> redirect stderr to a disk file...)
> 4. have the permission to change (elevate) security access.
> 5. can not raise level above that of the user connection (ie. secure
> wire, labeled network connection).
>
> At least two of these get broken with a web server:
> 1. a web server should not be labeled as a user entry point
> 4. the web server sould not be labeled as such.
>
> There are other restrictions that can be applied by modifying the web
> server itself:
>
> 1. deny fork capability in children of the listening web server.

No CGIs at all?

> 2. deny any open for write capability.

Can't write what the user entered for recording an order in e-commerce?

> 3. deny listen, bind, connect... capability in children of the parent web
> server (no new network connections will be allowed after fork).

No client/server database (or other stuff) either.

Pretty boring website.

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viņa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616