RE: Linux/ix86 booting process and BIOS

From: Dunlap, Randy (randy.dunlap@intel.com)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 13:31:44 EST

Hi,

You still didn't tell us WHY you are interested in
fast booting. Not that I'm against it, but it's
only critical to me if I'm rebooting often,
or if I'm running a server or something like a
set-top box, where down-time is critical, which
you didn't say.

> ... I just want to give some background information on why
> I'm interested in finding
> some 'lean' and open substitute for the PC BIOS.
>
> Actually I'm interested in booting *very* fast. In my case,
> this is more important than flexibility (modules etc.).

Also, Werner wrote:
Everything that goes into the EBDA (Extended BIOS Data Area, the stuff
allocated below 0xA000:0000), e.g. certain SMP tables (not sure what
they do - I just know that it kills SMP if LILO trips over them ;-)

Where can I find docs on the EBDA?

Thanks,
Randy
|Randy Dunlap randy.dunlap.at.intel.com Sr. SW Engr.|
|Intel Corp., 5200 NE Elam Young Pkwy., M/S HF3-77 |
|Hillsboro, OR 97124 503-696-2055/fax 503-696-1882|
|NOTE: Any views presented here are mine alone |
|and may not represent the views of my employer. |