Re: [patch-2.3.47] /proc/driver/microcode -> /dev/cpu/microcode

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@sco.COM)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 07:47:55 EST

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Richard Gooch wrote:
> I don't have /proc/rtc on my machine, but I do have /dev/misc/rtc, so
> I don't know where /proc/rtc comes from.

Sorry, my typo - I meant /proc/driver/rtc. The source is
drivers/char/rtc.c and it does

create_proc_read_entry ("driver/rtc", 0, 0, rtc_read_proc, NULL);

in addition to the binary-data device /dev/rtc (which is in
/dev/misc/rtc of devfs). The /proc/driver/rtc is the human-readable dump
of RTC data and I thought it should find its proper place in devfs instead
of /proc for the same reasons why we moved microcode from /proc/driver to
/dev/cpu.

> I think we should be strict with the new devfs namespace. If it's not
> actually part of the CPU, it doesn't belong in /dev/cpu. If we're not
> strict, we end up with the same ad-hockery as /proc.

ok, then it could go to /dev/misc/rtc.txt?

Thank you for reviewing my patch.

Regards,
Tigran.