Re: Virtual mounts

From: Tony Hoyle (tmh@magenta-logic.com)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 06:24:41 EST

Ricky Beam wrote:
> How can you be sure the file system is mountable until you actually mount it?
> What's the advantage of doing something like this?

There should be no problem with 'ls' dying with an I/O error if the mount fails. I check the
device exists and the grab the target dentry. All this works (even the mounting, which surprised me...)

Once I've got the /proc stuff working (turning out to be the hardest bit, actually...) I can write a perl
script to do the unmounting. Then it'll work how I want it.

eg. On my machine I have /mnt/cdrom as ISO9660 and /mnt/dvd as UDF. I will be able to chdir between them if necessary.
Also, when I'm searching my CDROM collection for a file, I can stay in the /mnt/cdrom directory, insert a cd, do 'ls', eject it, put the next one in, etc... (I'm not sure how easy it will be to allow unmount if a process has its cwd on the mount, but it would be the ultimate in ease of use if I could make that bit work).

The whole patch is turning out to be very small... A credit to the writers of the VFS who gave it a very logical and simple structure.

Tony

--

"Now you too can enjoy having babies... start collecting today" (Recent advert)

tmh@magenta-logic.com