Re: PPP is not SMP safe in 2.2.X (fix)

From: Ed Tomlinson (tomlins@cam.org)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 19:28:24 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

> > The data that pptp reads from the pty have bad FCS, and the xDSL link
> > promptly crashes. I assume that this problem comes from a race condition
>
> Getting a bad frame from the pty under high load is certainly legal anyway.
> If your xDSL link crashes you have another problem that is bigger to worry
> about,.,.

I fear this problem, or another one, extends to non SMP boxes. I have been
seeing many crashes lately. They seem to occur when ppp0 is connected to
my ISP via pppoe (using the patch from http://www.davin.ottawa.on.ca/pppoe/ )
and ppp1 is connected via dialup (/dev/ttyS2). The usually symptom is the having
the box reboot without warning... When it recovers there is nothing of interest
in the logs. Would love to know how to help debug this one.

I am using 2.2.15pre9 on an up-to-date debian potato system.

Ed Tomlinson <tomlins@cam.org>