Accessing serial ports from a loadable module (from kernel space)

From: Jörgen Overgaard (jorgen@naxos.se)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 11:32:46 EST

Hi,

I'm relatively new to the concept of writing loadable drivers (modules) for Linux.
I'm trying to write a driver that will control some hardware via the serial port. (radios, etc)

I've come so far as the driver can be read from and written to. It handles all the neccesary processing needed before
passing it on to the serial port. That's where my problem arrives.
How can I access (for example /dev/ttyS0 from kernel space)
Since I cannot use standard libraries and running within kernel space, I can't just access them usuall way
with open("/dev/ttyS0", O_RDWR), etc,etc.

I found some info (and trying to studie some existing char drivers in kernel source) that could be a trail in the right direction.
tty_open() etc....

It get's a bit frustrating when I've come this far.
I've tried to search the net for info,but eitherway I'm searching wrong,or there is no info (at least not very informant).

Anyone out there with knowlage about accessing the serial ports from kernel space??

Thanks!
73 de SM4WWG / Jörgen Overgaard

Jörgen Overgaard
IT-Manager
Naxos Sweden AB
Kryptongatan 6
S-703 74 ÖREBRO
SWEDEN
Tel: +46 (0)19 20 68 60 Fax: +46 (0)19 20 68 65