Kernel Routing Issues/Packett loss (argh.)

From: Andrew J. Feldhacker (feldh@mindspring.net)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 00:28:53 EST

Ok... I've been pounding my head on my desk for the last 12hrs. because of this:

I've been a subscriber to the cox@home cable modem service for the last 9 months, problem-free.... I'm using a DEC Alpha running Debian 2.1 and Kernel 2.2.14 for IP forwarding/masq. for my LAN...

I just moved to a new apartment, and I've gotten my cable service transfered over to the new residence... I was given a different cable modem (was using a Lancity model, now a surfboard sb1300), and a new set of IPs for my host, subnet, etc.

So, I plugged in the new IPs to my /etc/init.d/network script in Debian, re-ran it, and tried to ping an external IP... 100% packet loss. Rebooted and tried pinging again, 100% packet loss....

so I do...
# ifconfig eth0 down
# ifconfig eth0 xx.xx.xxx.xx netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx broadcast xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
# route add default gw xx.xx.xxx.x netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1 eth0

Checked over my routing table, verified my settings, etc... they all seem fine, but still 100% packet loss... while the system is sending the packets out, the activity lights for the NIC blink, but still, nothing comes back.

I figured it was time for a second opinion, so I hooked the cable modem up to an i386 based system running Slackware 7.0 (Kernel 2.2.13)... edited my /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 to reflect the changes to my IPs and gateway, re-ran the script, and tried to ping... 100% packet loss... rebooted.... 100% packet loss.

Tried it in windows, be it by hard-coding or DHCP, everything is cool... bear in mind that all the while, both linux systems work fine on my LAN.

Rather frustrated, I re-install Debian on the Alpha... which, because it comes with it by default, is now running Kernel 2.0.36... same thing... this is even after inputing the network info into the Debian setup program... 100% packet loss.

Even more frustrated, I start out a Slackware install on a spare partition that I have on my workstation... I tell it to use DHCP... upon booting up, dhcpcd times out waiting for the request to be answered. So I hard code it.... 100% packet loss.

Alright, I'm last ditch now... I install RedHat 6.1 on the spart partition... it tries for DHCP... and times out. Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I hardcode....

# ifconfig eth0 xx.xx.xxx.xx netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx broadcast xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
# route add default gw xx.xx.xxx.x netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1 eth0

and I ping............ AND GET REPYS, WITH 0% PACKET LOSS!??!?!

The only thing that I can see different here is the kernel version between the 3 distros.... bear in minds, again, that on all systems/installs, my LAN works fine, it's just thru the cable modem that I have problems... I've flushed all IPCHAIN rules, etc., so those aren't a problem, and the routing, etc., on the Slackware and Debian installs match up exactly with redhat... but yet, redhat works, and debian/slackware don't! (even more annoyingly, windows works too.)... the only things that have changed from my old residence are:

IPs (IP address, subnet, gateway, netmask, broadcast)
Cable Modem (went from a Lancity to a Surfboard sb3100)

I suspect the cable modem, but NONE OF THIS MAKES ANY SENCE TO ME!!!

I would really prefer running debian as opposed to redhat, so if ANYONE has ANY suggestions, they would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks VERY much.....
Andrew Feldhacker

Technology is a word that describes something which doesn't work yet.
-Douglas Adams